Wednesday 15 September 2010

sep, 15th - red riding hood....

day 215:



i fell in love with the most beautiful pop-up book this week by the genius illustrator, Louise Rowe. it got me thinking about the vivid memories that i still have of all the covers of my favourite childhood books especially, the huge fairy story album that my uncle gave me. i treasured that book.

from this album, in my mind...my Goldilocks will always be wearing a yellow dress, my Three Little Pigs will be dashing in polka-dot bow ties and Sleeping Beauty will look a lot like my old school friend, Alice. of all childhood memories, it seems that the covers, stories and images in books are things that made a huge impression on me.....


so, it's fair to say that i am conscious of the books that i buy Limi as these will form her patchwork memory of images to look back on one day (although sadly, her Goldilocks will probably be wearing a gluten intolerant bracelet)....but when i found this pop-up version of Red Riding Hood in the Whitechapel Gallery shop (day 209) all conscious thought went out the window....it is the most astoundingly beautiful pop-up book that i have ever seen.


as a result, Limi should have some wonderfully detailed memories of the forest, the house and the mean wolf....


but it also means that her Red Riding Hood will always be sepia-toned rather than a startling-coloured story...i hope she forgives me this subdued but magical interpretation of one of my favourite stories....that's if i actually ever let her touch this work of art....


of course i will....maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails