Tuesday 30 March 2010

mar, 30th - nursery rhymes...

day 51:

The good thing about babies is that they have no clue when you sing the wrong words. Once they reach 4 or 5 years old, I'm sure that they then tell you exactly when you've murdered 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' but at this stage I could sing 'Sizzle, Sizzle Little Car!' and it would make no difference to Limi.

Over the last 7 weeks, I've realised just how rusty I am on my nursery rhymes. Tunes that I used to be able to sing in my sleep (probably because I heard most of them in my sleep) now elude me and once I've committed to singing something like 'Three Blind Mice' (with a fully captivated Limi) I find that I really only know the start of it....and this is the same for most of the rhymes. In this instance, I reach the part of 'who cut off their tales with a carving knife' and realise that I have no idea what the next line is....resorting to some 'da, da, da, da, da, da, da-ing' followed by a resounding 'three blind mice' finale!

Limi doesn't seem to mind. But, it did prompt me to look up nursery rhymes (I figure that I have 4 years to brush up!) only to find that there is an added complexity these days. Nursery rhymes have now changed to be more politically correct. So, sending Limi off to nursery school singing 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' is no longer acceptable. It is now 'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep' or 'Baa Baa Happy Sheep'. I have no issue with teaching kids about happy farm animals...but rainbow sheep? This seems to me to be setting them up with unrealistic expectations and a D- in Biology. I think that I may just avoid 'Baa Baa' completely and stick with the environmentally unfriendly 'Wheels on the Bus'.

Alternatively, I could show Limi the following and then legitimately sing:
'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Sheep'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails